Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday, the 13th day of June, 2012


My only sibling, my sister Ligia, turned sixty one this past Monday, June 11th … She was the first born to my parents 16 months before I did, and has always been a good girl… She is the person I’ve known the longest, the human being with the closest DNA to mine, and my longest living friend. Happy Birthday!

And the Miami Heat did it to the Boston Celtics! I was somewhat less than confident about whether the Heat would prevail in this series or not… It took them seven games and dominated clearly in the last two games… Now they meet the Oklahoma Thunder in the NBA finals (Oklahoma? Are they sure? Since when do they have anything other than football in Sooner-land???) Although they already dropped game one, I will continue to root for the Heat with a healthy dose of skepticism…

Officially started the process of helping Alex move from Gainesville, FL to Alpharetta, GA… She came up this past week-end from FL to GA bringing some stuff and we met here at her apartment on Sunday. We hanged some shelving for her and also a ceiling fan; she assembled a shelving stand, a microwave oven cart and tested her new oven… We all had lunch and then hit the road in opposite directions…

I used to be an avid reader throughout all my life (in several occasions I read the dictionary – both Spanish and English - cover to cover). In recent years I developed Arterial Hypertension (a.k.a. high blood pressure) and the medication(s) to control it had drowsiness as one of their side effects; the drowsiness manifested at its worst when I would try to read – I could never again read more than two pages without falling asleep; so I gave it up. Several weeks ago, by chance I grabbed a book to review it and, after reading the prologue – much to my surprise – I was able to read on without falling asleep. So, books beware… I’m back! So, here is a new section: recommended book.

Recommended Book: “Trinity” by Leon Uris - Relates the story of several generations of Irish Catholics, their struggle to stay and survive in their homeland, the constant and fierce conflict with Irish Protestant, and their different views of the centuries-long British occupation of Ireland. Good entertainment and learning opportunity.

Now, food for thought:
“In the end, big government or small government is neither the question nor the answer. It is effective government that matters. And you can’t be effective if you are a wuss.”
 - Ed Rendell – Ex Governor of Pennsylvania

So, stay true to your principles, my friends…




No comments: