Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thursday, December 22, 2011

OK, I have to man up... I had said before I would be writing something every Monday and I have failed... However, I've written something every week; that is a pattern I am more comfortable with and that I intend to keep...

Adventureland...Last Sunday I went deer hunting. One of my neighbors owns 800+ acres nearby and invited me to hunt on his land for the afternoon; he new I was looking for a big buck, a wall hanger as they call it (not interested on does - have gotten two already this season - or on small bucks)... I found none, and therefore shot none; but his son-in-law shot a big buck and did not fulminate it; so we went tracking the animal after 5:30 PM (real dark!) and follow a trail that eventually faded after one mile and two and a half hours of trekking through thick brush in the dark. Never found it. The next morning they went tracking it again and found it; wounded but not mortally; well enough to high-tail it into the brush and get lost... Good adventure; good experience; will try to avoid it in the future...

Seasonland... Jan and I are done with the Christmas decorations inside and outside the house... Every year we seem to do as much decorating, and always have leftover items we find no place for; which items are left out depends on what box we open first and which one is last; it is always like a lotto... We made Hallacas this past Saturday. Hallacas are corn pastries filled with seasoned meats - traditional Venezuelan fare for the Holiday season. We had an assembly line with five work-stations. We made 45 Hallacas and they came out pretty good!

Emotionsland... This is a really challenging season for those of us who have any kind of fractured family, and I think most of us fall in that category... In my case, I have not seen my older daughters since last May and have not heard from them since last June; quite an inconsolable hole in my heart. I hope better times are yet to come... On another venue, we got a call earlier this week that Jody, our house/dog sitter, was suicidal. Later that same day, Jody called all obfuscated and upset about the rumor going around town that she was suicidal; Jan asked her to come over and we spent a whole evening with her, sounding her out and calibrating her answers. She sounds and looks fine to me, and that is my very personal, empirical and non-professional opinion.

In other subjects, the weather is a little warmer that in previous Christmas seasons and we are having six house guests for Christmas!

To all of you, I wish you the Merriest of Christmas and a Happy Holiday (for those who do not believe in Christmas)... Hope Santa is good to you (no lumps of coal!).

We'll talk again before the year is over...


No comments: