Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday, the 21st day of August, 2012


The ‘mystery’ mower the first time was Hank Douglas… Hank lives across the street from Hawks Bluff Phase I and is an honorary member of the Hawks Bluff family. He does random acts of kindness. This was one of them… THANK YOU, HANK! Now, there’s been more mowing, this time further inside Phase I and, according to Danny, it is being done my the gentleman who owns the old Suarez house… We were introduced once in the last Halloween party, but (apologies!) I forgot his name…

This past Tuesday Jan and I were trying to weed out the key hole in front of the house, and as I was grabbing a weed between some rocks we have there, a snake came out and latched on to the index finger of my right hand… It took me about ½ second to realize I had been bitten, and then it took another ½ second to become aware that it had been a snake… In the following two seconds, which seemed a lot longer than that, I was able to understand that (a) I was not hurting; (b) I was a little bloody but it was a scratch instead of punctures; (c) upon closer observation, because it was still out like strutting its stuff and looking for business, it was a black non-poisonous snake. Then, and only then, I told Jan. I retreated and it retreated back to the rocks; I came closer to see if there were more, and the snake came out aggressively, and lunged forward to bite again. I retreated and this time it did not; instead it came forward about six feet trying to bite me again.  It was then when either the poison it got from me took effect, or it had a heart attack due to all the excitement because, the next thing I know, the snake is dead! I hope the news is out already on the daily Snake Tribune, that if you bite the big guy on Horseshoe Drive, you die! A little Neosporin took care of business.

Sunday, August 19th 2012, marked 24 years of marriage for Jan and me... It was a Friday night then, and we were married on the Miami River aboard a vessel owned by Augie Barone, who was a justice of the peace and as such performed the ceremony. In attendance were Augie and his wife and first mate Lee, Nick and Betty Mayer, and us!

Recommended book (getting a little serious): “Games People Play” by Eric Berne, M.D. The basic handbook for transactional analysis, or a study on the Psychology of Human Relationships… You will enjoy it if you’re attracted (as I am) to the dynamics and intricacies of human behavior. Needs to be read twice, at least, to understand certain concepts and the relationships between them.

And now food for thoughts:
“Procedures may be successful, rituals effective, pastimes profitable and, by definition, they are all candid; games, on the other hand, are basically dishonest and the outcome always dramatic.”
 - Dr. Eric Berne

So, stay honest and true to yourselves (don’t play games), my friends.



No comments: