Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday, the 16th day of March, 2012

It seems like spring is here… For the majority of last week, this whole week and, as forecast, the whole next week, the low temperature is expected to be in the mid fifties and the high in the high seventies. The trees are starting to bud out; there are either little leaves coming out or little flowers coming out. The birdies are starting to appear as well; every morning they are getting louder and more of them. The grass is starting to grow to the point that I will have to mow the back lawn this coming weekend… All those symptoms are yelling SPRING to me. However, everybody that I or Jan have spoken to about this – and have lived here long enough to know the local climate nuances – seems to be sure there is yet one more freeze (or snow fall) left on the season. This past Tuesday I was talking to some folks from the Land Management Bureau and they were saying “plant your tomatoes after you pay your taxes on April 15th; if you plant them earlier, you may lose them all”… As far as a new transplant like me is concerned, all I can do is echo everybody else’s assessment: this weather is crazy!

I don’t think I can comment coherently anymore about the Republican Primaries… I am so out of it that I don’t seem to know which way is up… First, my man Ron Paul has not been able to win anything, anywhere! He continues to speak reason, responsibility, maturity, prosperity and freedom, but his message is not getting any credit in front of more than 80% of the Republican Electorate. And I ask myself: if these things are not attractive to my Republican brothers and sisters, then what is? Is Romney’s motto “I was a severely Conservative Governor” (and my Massachusetts Romney-care program was the model for Obama-care) more attractive? Is Santorum’s message of “I am your conservative answer” (and I voted to fund Planned Parenthood) more attractive? And I won’t quote Newt because he does not count anymore… Mathematically, nobody except Romney can get to the 1114 delegates needed to be nominated; however, he keeps on losing to Santorum (and to Newt in Alabama and Mississippi). If Robo-Mitt is so inevitable, why are the vast majority of the people not buying it? Where are we going with this? Is it going to be a mad house in Tampa? I don’t understand anything, anymore! One more thing: I saw on Facebook a bumper sticker that said “Do not re-nig in 2012”; I don’t need to comment on it or characterize it. However, it is widely believed in some circles and by many that we, as a country and as a people, have made great progress trying to change our racist past. Stickers like that (and people who celebrate it) may be evidence we are in a different place from where we think we are...

I have not much more to say this week. I’ll gather more stories for next week… Meanwhile, food for thought: “Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.” - Voltaire

So, keep inquiring, my friends…

No comments: